Saturday, October 20, 2018

A Story to Tell...

I have been tossing around the idea of starting a new blog, but I've decided just to re-invent this one. This blog started out as a way to update family, to help me cope by writing down what was going on, and with some hope that someone out there who is also struggling would have a story to connect with.

This time around, I'm focusing on the latter. I hope that by sharing my story, you can be inspired. You may not have a rare disease or chronic illness, but I bet you know someone who does. Even if you don't, trust me in that you can learn a lot from a girl who was running 90 mph and was forced to suddenly, unexpectedly, STOP....and try to make sense out of what a new normal is. 

For those who are new here, I'll give you the short story. If you stick around the rest of the story will eventually be told!

I was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome in the summer of 2016. My recovery was slow the first few months after being released from the hospital. But, I eventually improved from wheel chair, to walker, to walking. (I skipped the cane- I hated that thing!) 18 months later I was driving, working, and walking. I still had a lot of nerve pain in my feet. It never really went away. But I was, overall, about 80% back to normal. Then....I had a relapse. When the ER doctor told me it was GBS AGAIN, I was in shock. I was told this wouldn't happen. I was mad. All that work, hours upon hours of therapy, only to find myself back at square one. The second time around GBS took a few more things away. My hands were in bad shape. I couldn't even tie my shoes. My vision went from 20/40 to 20/200 (legally blind) in 3 months. I experienced seizures and hallucinations during my stay in the hospital. It was one big nightmare. 

I'm happy to say that I sit here typing this today and I'm in awe that my fingers are working good enough to type so quickly! My feet and legs are stronger! I still experience fatigue that I don't even know how to describe, but I can walk! My vision is still weak, but I have seen small improvements. 
I am a lot more than a stupid autoimmune disorder, so you will hear about things other than that! I am a wife, and mom to 2 crazy boys. We just recently moved out to  middle of nowhere, and are homeschooling (sort of-more on that later) our boys. I'm finally to the point of healing where I'm ready to figure out how my dreams and visions can become a reality with my new normal. The combination of all that will surely provide some quality stories! 

I hope you will join me as I share a glimpse into this crazy life I call mine! I feel like I have been given a story to share, and I'd be honored if you followed along with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment